Welcome to the Tazon de Estrellas!
Dear Team Stars & Stripes players and parents,
My name is Patrick Steenberge. I am the founder and owner of Global Football and will be managing the Tazon de Estrellas for Team Starts and Stripes. Since 1996 I have taken some 120 teams overseas to play American football, having done games and tours in 21 different countries on 6 continents. This will be the 18th year I have led the massive team effort to coordinate this particular event, working closely with my friends who run the top private universities in Mexico, as well as dear friends who are passionate about Division III football. We have a great staff, many of whom have been involved with this game for many years. I can guarantee that it will be an event you will never forget.
Through football I have traveled with thousands of amateur players, and each time it is a very special moment in my life. I can promise you a most memorable experience; likely different than you can imagine right now, but with plenty of unique moments to remember always.
I can still recall my last practice, game and actual play at Notre Dame, even though it was 44 years ago. But more than the football action, I most remember the people on my team. I am sure the same will be true for you.
SAFETY IN MEXICO
As a father of three children, recent college grads, I can certainly understand the concerns you may have about safety in Mexico while playing for Team Stars & Stripes in the Bowl of Stars. I have been in Mexico hundreds of days myself, so with this background, I would like to tell you about our plans to insure the safety of all our team members.
1. Location- there is certainly drug-oriented violence in Mexico, but nearly all of it is taking place along the US-Mexico border, as well as the Pacific resort of Acapulco. Very little violence is taking place near where we will be staying and playing. This is a key reason we have chosen to play in Mexicali.
2. Media- while there has certainly been an increase in violent crime in Mexico (at least North East Mexico), by watching and reading the US media one would believe it is dangerous in all parts of the country, and that any American who travels there would be in danger. This simply is not true! During 2015 millions of Americans traveled to Mexico for business and vacation, safely and quietly.
3. Our Hosts- we will be hosted by the CONADEIP league. This league consists of the top 21 private universities in Mexico that play American football. They are a private university system, world-renowned for their academic and athletic successes. We will practice and play the game on their campus, where everyone who enters must show a student or staff identification to enter.
4. Housing- Team Stars and Stripes will stay together in a hotel with security.
5. Travel- We will travel in quality motor coaches to all team events – as a team.
6. History- we have taken all-star teams to Mexico every year since 1997, with absolutely no incidents of danger, violence or trouble. We take great care to prepare a safe environment for the team, and emphasize to them the first day what to do in order to enjoy their time, and to be safe. I firmly believe that all who travel with us for this game will be much safer on this trip, representing his school and the United States, than those who might choose to take a Spring Break trip to Florida or a Caribbean Island.
Each spring Global Football takes several NCAA D3 teams to unique foreign destinations where the young men experience another culture, together with their teammates. This event in Mexico is much the same, but with a new set of teammates and coaches. This will be an amazing experience for all who travel with us, as it has been for the past 18 years. Hope to see you there!
Vaya con dios,
Patrick Steenberge, President
~living the dream~
Global Football, Inc.
7301 Crube Ct.
Granbury, TX. 76049