Sixteen of the 25 high school teams ranked in the Catholic Athletes For Christ Top 25, presented by Siena Heights University and Global Football, were in action last weekend, with 11 recording victories.
Two of those wins came against teams within the ranking as #1 Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, NV) saw off the challenge of #5 DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) 35-23, while #3 St Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) edged #4 St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.) 9-3 in overtime.
One of the schools listed as being in contention for a #CACTop25 preseason place, Cathedral Prep (Erie, Pa.) clearly took exception to their omission as the Ramblers sent a message with a 40-7 destruction of #14 Central Catholic (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
Here’s a look at how those teams who saw action fared this past week. And don’t forget; the remaining teams in the preseason CAC Top 25 see action this coming weekend before the first 2017 ranking is released on Wednesday, September 6.
- Bishop Gorman, Las Vegas, Nev. (15-0)
Won 35-23 against No. 5 DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.).
- Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif. (13-1)
Won 31-7 against Bishop Amat (La Puente, Calif.).
- St. Thomas Aquinas, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (13-2)
Won 9-3 in overtime against No. 4 St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.).
- St. John Bosco, Bellflower, Calif. (14-1)
Suffered a 9-3 overtime loss at No. 3 St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) on ESPN.
- DeMatha Catholic, Hyattsville, Md. (12-0)
Lost 35-23 at No. 1-ranked Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, Nev.).
- St. Joseph Regional, Montvale, N.J. (9-2)
Opens: Sept. 2 vs. Deerfield Beach (Fla.).
- Bergen Catholic, Oradell, N.J. (7-4)
Opens: Sept. 2 vs. DePaul Catholic (Wayne, N.J.).
- St. Joseph’s Prep, Philadelphia, Pa. (14-0)
Opens: Sept. 1 vs. Tampa (Fla.) Jesuit.
- De La Salle, Concord, Calif. (11-2)
Won 42-7 at Amador Valley (Pleasanton, Calif.).
- St. Xavier, Cincinnati, Ohio (10-5)
Won 43-14 against Hinsdale (Ill.) Central in the Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown in Cincinnati.
- St. Peter’s Prep, Jersey City, N.J. (8-4)
Opens: Sept. 1 vs. Union City (N.J.).
- Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Ill. (13-1)
Suffered a 20-14 loss at Phillips (Chicago, Ill.)
- Archbishop Wood, Warminster, Pa. (11-2)
Narrowly won 14-13 in a fourth quarter comeback at Oxbridge Academy (West Palm Beach, Fla.).
- Central Catholic, Pittsburgh, Pa. (14-2)
Lost 40-7 at one of the teams that was bubbling just under the #CACTop25 preseason ranking, Cathedral Prep (Erie, Pa.).
- Don Bosco Prep, Ramsey, N.J. (6-5)
Opens: Sept. 1 at Byrnes (Duncan, S.C.).
- St. Ignatius, Cleveland, Ohio (13-2)
Won 17-3 at Archbishop Hoban (Akron, Ohio).
- Christian Brothers College, St. Louis, Mo. (11-2)
Won 36-27 at Christian Brothers (Memphis, Tenn.).
- St. John’s College, Washington, D.C. (8-4)
Won 49-30 against Jones (Orlando, Fla.).
- Bishop Sullivan Catholic, Virginia Beach, Va. (7-3)
Lost 14-7 at American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.)
- Jesuit, Portland, Ore. (12-1)
Opens: Sept. 1 vs. Tigard (Ore.).
- Archbishop Rummel, Metairie, La. (7-4)
Opens: Sept. 1 at Gulfport (Miss.)
- St. Edward, Lakewood, Ohio (9-3)
Won 40-10 at McDowell (Erie, Pa.).
- Trinity, Louisville, Ky. (15-0)
Moved to 2-0 with another win over an Indiana powerhouse with a 42-41 triumph at Warren Central (Indianapolis, Ind.).
- St. Frances Academy, Baltimore, Md. (10-2)
Opens: Sept. 1 vs. No. 19 Bishop Sullivan Catholic (Virginia Beach, Va.).
- Paramus Catholic, Paramus, N.J. (10-2)
Opens: Sept. 2 at No. 13 Archbishop Wood (Warminster, Pa.).